Don’t miss out on this exciting paddling, monitoring and community education program coordinated by Rock River Coalition.
This event starts in Mayville, Wisconsin on May 15 and finishes in Beloit on May 25. You are invited to paddle with the team. See schedule at the bottom to see where they will be on a particular day.
Our Goal: To engage communities of the Rock River Basin by exploring water quality issues, recreational opportunities and the role of the public in water conservation by:
1. Collecting, Analyzing and Sharing Water Quality Data
a. Collect data continuously with a probe mounted on the front of a kayak. Parameters include: pH, temperature, dissolved oxygen, and conductivity. Data uploaded via cell phone and digitally displayed on a web map. Take periodic grab samples for analysis of nutrients and bacteria.
2. Educating Students
a. Daily classroom programs for grades 6‐8.
3. Educating the Public
a. Community evening programs for the community: Highlighting results to‐date, water quality issues in the basin, sponsoring group efforts and providing an opportunity for participant pledges to improve water quality.
b. Weekend community paddles and programs.
c. Social Media updates during the event and videos about the river prior to the event.
About the Probe
The water quality monitoring probe attached to a kayak, was developed, tested and calibrated at UW-Whitewater. Learn more at http://currentdata.com
Become Part of the Event
Paddle with us through your town. Register now!
- Paddling Fees: Rock River Coalition Members: $10/person/day. Maximum family fee of $25.
- Non-RRC Members: $30/person first day with a maximum family fee of $50: includes a one year membership.
- Additional days at member rates. Paddlers must provide their own paddle craft and meals.
- The RRC will provide transport for one person back to their vehicles. Paddlers can do partial trips on most days.
- Call for group/school rates: 608-334-4517. For overnight participants camping will be available for an additional fee.
- Community events: RRC members free, all others $5. No charge for Kick-off at Mayville Rotary Park.
Keep track of our progress:
Become a sponsor:
- $5,000: Your organization’s name/logo on the banner and on support signs for local businesses, on all printed handouts and videos, plus logo and links on the website.
- $1,000: Your organization’s name/logo on event brochures and programs and website.
- $500: Your organization’s name on website and programs.
- $100: Your name in the event programs.
- In-kind support accepted in lieu of a cash donation such as:
Lodging: We will need hotels or camping spots each night.
Meals: Ten+ meals needed for each lunch and dinner.
Canoes or Vehicles: We will need vans, a trailer and possible kayaks.